Most SaaS founders, CEOs, CMOs and growth leaders are very good at engineering predictable growth. These same people need help getting their acquisition numbers in order.
Enter the Marketing Operations Manager.
Think of this person as the “COO” of your Marketing team. Whether you realize it or not, someone or multiple someones are currently playing this role on your team.
- Gather and reports on critical acquisition and attribution metrics for content, website, social, paid media and all of your other activities
- Have a deep technical understanding of your marketing automation and how your customer journey is configured
- Project manage initiatives involving multiple stakeholders within your marketing team or across departments
If you’re filling this role in the aggregate, with multiple people, you’re likely not fulfilling any of these activities well enough. These are activities that require full-time attention.
And finding this person is as difficult as finding a unicorn because this one person brings together expertise in:
- Marketing Technology
- Analytics and Attribution
- Project Management
- Customer Lifecycle Marketing
This person should be one of your first 5 hires on your SaaS marketing team. Here’s why:
- At every step of the way, you need to have your ROI and CAC numbers in order. You need to know what to scale, what to roll back. I’ve seen a lot of marketing teams flounder and “guesstimate” where their attention needs to go, while burning a lot of cash in the process. This person will equip you with the right knowledge to make the right decisions.
- You need your rainmakers making rain. The more time your content person is spending on Google Analytics, the less time that person is spending actually creating content. You want your content person to understand the right accountability metrics for content as their expertise, not to be the ones retrieving the metrics and putting together reports. The Marketing Operations Manager becomes a metrics-based “coach” for your entire marketing team.