Too many teams / sub-functions think of their work in isolation. This leads to siloed and dysfunctional organizations.
Your content strategy needs to be a subset of your overall marketing strategy, which needs to be a subset of your overall growth strategy, which needs to be a subset of the overall company strategy.
This is why starting from the company strategy / outlook / plans is the best way to ensure the success of your function as a leader and increase your impact across the organization.
Ask questions like:
1) What are our revenue targets? How fast do we need to grow?
2) What are our financial constraints? (Burn rate, EBITDA etc.)
3) What growth opportunities are the biggest focus for us as an organization? (New logos? Expansion? M&A? Pricing? New products?)
4) What is required from all the key teams (product, marketing, sales, CS, ops) to deliver on our biggest opportunities?
5) How can our respective function contribute to what is required?
Thinking like this changes how a function is perceived in an organization. It leads to more impact made by the function. It leads to the function also getting more resources and support over time.
Most importantly, it leads to a healthier overall company dynamic, which leads to more growth over time.
Get bite-sized insights on SaaS marketing, growth and strategy in your inbox a few times a week.